Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Festival

I was asked to attend a festival which is being held every year that I really hate going to. Every year, my family and I will be going to my grandmother’s place which is in Cameron highlands to celebrate our festival. I will always force myself to be there no matter what just to respect my dad. This year, I tried really hard to make excuses but it just didn’t work out as usual. There comes the day that we went to Cameron, the journey was very long indeed. Once we reached, my grandmother was happy to see us and just after 10minutes of relaxing on the sofa, she asked me to clean the house including sweeping, arranging, and many others. The room that I stayed that night was very dirty as the blanket, bed sheet, pillow and everything in the room doesn’t seem right and it was like the whole room was upside down. I even got bitten by some kind of insects since I can’t really see what it was as the room was dark.

The next day, all of us had to get up early since it was the day that we were supposed to celebrate our festival and I got scolding from my grandmother for getting up late. The moment we started to pray, the music that been played, spoilt the whole situation of a beautiful morning. Suddenly it started to rain, the house was very dark and we had to switch on the lights as if it was night time even though the clock shows only 10am in the morning. There are so many rituals in the festival that only old-fashioned people follows like of course, my grandmother. The atmosphere of that boring place was completely the opposite of how I was brought up.

Furthermore, I thought that fresh flowers will always look fresh and nice in highlands but then the flowers that I had to decorate seems so dull, the colours were faded and it looks so dry. Then when it comes to lunch, the food was cold due to the overlapping time that my grandmother took in the ceremony. Oh my god, I really felt trapped in a festival that I shouldn’t have attended.

No comments:

Post a Comment